[Dixielandjazz] Re: Interpolation (was Quoting)

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Fri Feb 24 00:10:06 PST 2006

Oh no doubt there are some guys that can bring it off but like salt a couple
of shakes is good on eggs but dumping the whole box on isn't.  It becomes a
matter of taste.  I never do it but there is a tenor player here that is a
real master of the instrument and he throws one in every so often.  He never
does it twice on the same solo and he is able to make it flow and making it
a real musical surprise.

The trouble is that very few guys play that well and can do it but what
happens is lesser musicians think something that my friend does is cool and
try to imitate him with crude and out of pace quotes.

I don't think I said I never wanted to hear them but I still feel that they
compromise the flow of solos and have a real danger of becoming trite.  The
other danger is that the good player will start trying to out do himself
after getting strokes for doing it once.  All of a sudden you have a guy
that is a pretty cool musician becoming a bit clunky.

Good taste should rule.  It sounds to me from the other comments made you
either like them or you don't.  There doesn't seem to be much in the middle.
Larry