[Dixielandjazz] Quoting

John McClernan mcclernan1 at comcast.net
Thu Feb 23 16:40:20 PST 2006

Don,
I worked with one trombonist (surprise!) who tried to jam as many
quotes as possible, appropriate or not, into each of his solos. The
guys in the band chuckled at first, but it grew tiresome rather
quickly and we felt it was just smarmy and 'clever' rather than
inventive or creative. One fella got so fed up with it, he finally
spoke up and said, "Hey, if you want to quote something, how about
quoting the song we are playing?"

That finally put a stop to it. It forced the guy  to change how he
"composed" with his instrument and ultimately became a much better
soloist. As in most things, moderation is the key. Quotes can be used
tastefully, or shoe-horned in, merely because the chords fit. If one
more trombone player quotes the original Star Trek TV theme over a C
to Ab chord change, I'm gonna scream!

My 2¢
Cheers,
John