[Dixielandjazz] Re: Ooyah, ooyah, ooyah! and similar songs (was YOBS)

Ron L'Herault lherault at bu.edu
Thu Feb 23 06:11:16 PST 2006

I think composers get credit for the melody/tune, not the chord
sequence, so it would not be stealing when one song can be played over
the chords of another.  Playing part of one tune within another is
"quoting", which is not quite what we are dealing with here.   I like to
play "Over the Waves" when I solo on Bill Bailey.  I heard a New Orleans
trombonist do that once and loved it.  Chiribiribin works as well.

Ron L