[Dixielandjazz] Re: Ooyah, ooyah, ooyah! and similar songs (was YOBS)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Feb 22 22:26:38 PST 2006

Dear Dave, John Farrell and friends,
I have known of drummer Lennie Hastings' "Ooyah, ooyah, ooyah!" vocal break
for many years.
Indeed, on a visit to the Osaka Jazz Club in Japan during the 1980s I was
invited to sit in with the resident group, the internationally famous New
Orleans Rascals. On "Tiger Rag", during my solo, I pulled out the "Ooyah,
ooyah, ooyah! thing.
[Which, of course, had nothing to do with the saki we had consumed at
dinnertime.]
It brought the house down so effectively that I've forever wondered what,
phonetically, it may mean in Japanese!
I've never had the courage to ask.
Dave, you commented in your reply that the Bonzo Dogs used the vocal break
in one of the tunes on their 'Gorilla' LP (which I have) and mentioned that
the "whole song is a version of Bill Bailey/Tiger Rag."
Which reminded me of a question I was asked recently, but have not yet
researched.
What is the term used to describe the situation where one song can be sung
to the tune of another?
The examples given in the query to me were "It's A Long Way To Tipperary"
and "Pack Up You Troubles In Your Old Kit Bag".
There are many other examples, as you know.
Our clarinet player, Jack Wiard, does it whenever we play "Bill Bailey" and
frequently, with a knowing smirk, in quite a few other tunes.
Kind regards,
Bill.