[Dixielandjazz] YOBS

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Wed Feb 22 14:27:22 PST 2006

A "loving" parody of this Lennie Hastings drum tag can be  heard on
the Bonzo Dog Band "Gorilla" recording "Jazz, Delicious Hot,
Disgusting Cold!"
The whole song is a version of "Bill Bailey/Tiger Rag" that must be
heard and enjoyed by all Trad jazz Fans ;-P

Here is what one reviewer has to say about it:
> On other tunes, the Bonzos are apt to demonstrate their
> musicianship, as on the pull-out-the-stops frantic pub jazz
> instrumental 'Jazz, Delicious Hot, Disgusting Cold!' which is just
> THE kind of jazz that goes right up my alley. Sweat it out!
> Absolutely no ambition, absolutely no self-indulgence, just a lot
> of messy (but rhythmic) brass-and-piano fun, with trombone, sax,
> and ukulele solos alternating with the band in full coordinated
> swing just as you'd expect in a hot Fifties' movie. In any case,
> "generic" never really is supposed to mean "unenjoyable", and to
> hear such a swell, accessible, and well-played instrumental in an
> era where jazz was already forgetting its roots at giant paces, not
> to mention an era plagued by lengthy incoherent acid instrumentals,
> for some people at least must have been just as much of a delight
> as for me to be hearing it now.
( http://starling.rinet.ru/music/bonzo.htm )

It is available on several Bonzo re-issue collections.

Dave Richoux