[Dixielandjazz] 1099's

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Wed Feb 22 12:33:40 PST 2006

 This too is an arguable point to defend the deductions Dave:

  Most professional touring acts and bands that are required to travel
to play a gig that takes them away from home over the dinner or lunch
hour ask for such meals to be provided by the promoter or venue since
they are not able to be at home to prepare them for themselves, it is
considered part of the bands compensation and a normal deductible
expense for the promoter or venue, so if the band or band leader
provides such meals for himself and his sidemen it is certainly
deductible and defensible, especially now when they will only allow you
to claim 50% of it anyway. I have justified deductions for meals as in
Bar B Ques for band members during rehearsals. Explaining that while I
did not have to pay them to come rehearse I did have legitimate
expenses incurred to attract them to come and do so. Like I said you
have to have a reasonable explanation and stand your ground.

 Cheers,

 Tom