[Dixielandjazz] San Francisco Marching, Trotting & Walking Band????

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Tue Feb 21 16:39:42 PST 2006

Hi all,

  I have two different Fantasy LPs of this group San Francisco
Marching, Trotting & Walking Band "The Good Old Days" F-1713 3265 and
"Concert in the Park" F-1786 3276  but there is very little
information on them. I guess they were recorded in the early 1960's
but the Fantasy Records website has nothing at all. The only names I
see are listed on "The Good Old Days":
Paul Miller bjo. & director
Bob Will dr.
Harold Zollman p. (also did some ragtime recordings in 1958)
John Derning b.
Jack Lewerke tuba (worked for Good Time Jazz?)
Al Hirsch bells
Al Bramy & Tony Valerio  Horses Hooves
Is Nathan Xyl.
Sandy Beck Triangle

Both LPs have Arnold Roth jacket cover illustrations that make out to
be larger groups but I only hear a few extra horns on  "Concert in
the Park"
( trombonist Reid Tanner  is credited with one arrangement.)

I think there was some possible relationship with some aspect of
"Your Father's Mustache" or "Red Garter" bands but I cannot find any
clarification on the web. Could be that they were just all
contemporaries?

Anybody know anything else about this group? My personal theory is
that the idea actually came from the early Los Trancos Woods
Community Marching Band that started playing about the same time in
the Bay Area but I cannot prove this ;-)

Dave Richoux