[Dixielandjazz] alseep at the wheel

Talegatorz at aol.com Talegatorz at aol.com
Tue Feb 21 14:01:58 PST 2006

The thread about falling asleep on the way home is really serious business
and reminds me of a very sad loss.
One of our favorite fellow musicians, Giles Dion from Sherbrooke, Que. did
just that and died on the way home from a gig a few years ago after colliding
head on with a truck. Aside from being a great player and arranger, he was one
of the finest, kindest and most patient gentlemen that I ever had the pleasure
of working with.
Sometimes, the band would cram into a passenger van to drive to New York or
Boston. I always marveled how Giles could sit up in the back seat with his horn
on his lap and fall asleep in an instant. We joked that he suffered from
narcolepsy. Maybe that was his undoing.
I lost my taste for late nights and long distances since his death and I
avoid both unless there's money enough in it to get a room if needed.
Stay safe, listmates.

Gus Bloch