[Dixielandjazz] TAXES AND 1099's

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Feb 21 08:51:24 PST 2006

One of the guys that I work for requires that I sign a subcontractor's
agreement that spells out what is expected.

Too bad a lot of musicians who want the money don't understand that anytime
you exchange money it's called A BUSINESS and the IRS like an agent wants
their cut.

I have told this story before but since it's tax time ---- There is a
restaurant/bar here that got a deal with the union to put a big band in and
pay the guys $15 (now raised to $20)  They paid the guys cash each night.
No one kept records in the band.  Then the Restaurant handed the leader an
$18,000 1099.  Fortunately the guys in the band for the most part cooperated
and he was able to get most of the records but then since it was a union
thing there was SS tax and city taxes that hadn't been paid.  It was a real
nightmare.

Take my advice - don't be stupid.

Actually I'm glad because it eliminates from most of my jobs the guys that
are trying to fly under the radar.  All of the places that I work demand
that I do the paperwork so that they can deduct me.
Larry Walton
St. Louis