[Dixielandjazz] Re: Entertainer/Bunk Johnson - more

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Feb 20 20:23:02 PST 2006

Dear Hal,
You mentioned in your email an "interview with [Bunk] Johnson in which he
talked about the 'Red Back Book' and asked "Do we know who arranged that?".
I thought of that when this thread first started but, although a logical
suggestion, it lead nowhere so far as J R Johnson was concerned.
What was known as the 'Red Back Book' is a collection of about a dozen
'Standard High-Class Rags', published by John Stark circa 1909, containing
the work of some of the rag time composers represented by Stark.
The book contains the parts for orchestra comprising cornet, 2nd cornet,
flute, violin, 2nd violin, cello, piano,  bass and drums
Bunk Johnson was known to have this book and to have referred to it on
numerous occasions.
It is the book, given to him by the the editor of 'The Collected Works of
Joplin', Vera Brodsky Lawrence, that Gunter Schuller used when he formed the
New England Conservatory Ragtime Ensemble in the early 1970s.
I have a facsimile copy of the 'Red Back Book'.
"The Entertainer" (Rag Time Two-Step) is included with the note 'arr. by D S
De Lisle'.
Come on Audrey Van Dyke, where are you when we need you?
8>)
Do you have any sheet music of Scot Joplin's "The Entertainer" arr. by J R
Johnson?
Kind regards,
Bill.