[Dixielandjazz] Sleep Deprivation

dhs at ev1.net dhs at ev1.net
Mon Feb 20 19:00:12 PST 2006

Dear Listers:

My brother Ed once told me about a tuba player who fell asleep during the playing of Little Liza Jane.  This may not have been totally due to sleep deprivation as such, as ale and similar substances may have been involved.

For those who haven't played it, Little Liza Jane is an Uptown New Orleans shout tune, with a rudimentary chord structure.  The bass player goes on for quite some time playing a Bb chord.  When the time came to change, this player stayed right on the Bb.  Other players looked around, and he was whomping away with his eyes closed.  One of them shouted at him, and he came to and switched chords.

Regards,
Dave Stoddard
Round Rock, TX