[Dixielandjazz] Re: searching for Don Goldie

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Feb 17 08:49:15 PST 2006

Folks--
     As an admirer of Don Goldie's playing, i felt
my ears stiffen into little tufted points when i
saw the message about him.  I have an old LP of
Goldie with Teagarden called "Jack Teagarden at
the Roundtable" (Roulette R-25091, 1959), which
is marvelous.
     Further intrigued by the seeming lack of
Goldie Recordings, i rummaged around the web via
Google and found the following at
http://www.music.com/person/don_goldie/1/:

"A talented soloist with a wide range, Don Goldie
[+] was the son of longtime Paul Whiteman [+]
trumpeter Harry Goldfield [+]. Goldie performed
with many types of groups, including with Buddy
Rich [+] and the society band of Lester Lanin
[+], before gaining prominence for his playing
with Jack Teagarden [+]'s Dixieland sextet (from
1959 until the trombonist's death in 1964).
Goldie eventually settled in Miami, where in the
early '70s he recorded 11 albums for Jazz Forum,
many of which were dedicated to the work of one
composer. A fixture in Miami clubs and hotels,
Don Goldie [+] committed suicide in 1995.  Posted
by Scott Yanow [+] | Jun 18, 2004"

Also listed are these recordings:

Solo Releases
1982	Don Goldie [+]	Don Goldie's Dangerous Jazz Band [+]
1977	Don Goldie [+]	The Best of Jimmy McHugh [+]
1962	Don Goldie [+]	Trumpet Exodus [+]
1962	Don Goldie [+]	Trumpet Caliente [+]
1961	Don Goldie [+]	Brilliant [+]
Appearances
1976	The Sir Douglas Quintet [+]	The Tracker [+]

The inclusion of the last recording narrowed my
eyes into penetrating orbs of curiosity (hey,
"fustian" is my middle name), as Doug Sahm was
the leader of an Austin band:

"Arguably the greatest and most influential
Tex-Mex group ever, the Sir Douglas Quintet [+]
epitomized Texas' reputation as a fertile roots
music melting pot and established the career of
Tex-Mex cult legend Doug Sahm [+]. The Quintet
mixed country, blues, jazz, R&B, Mexican
conjunto/norteño music, Cajun dances, British
Invasion rock & roll, garage rock, and even
psychedelia into a heady stew that could only
have come from Texas. Although they went largely
underappreciated during their existence (mostly
in the '60s), their influence was far-reaching
and continues to be felt in Texas (particularly
the similarly eclectic Austin scene) and beyond .
. . ."
(http://www.music.com/group/the_sir_douglas_quintet/1/)

     Listmate Will Connelly also knows quite a bit about Goldie.

     Dan

**  Dan Augustine  --  Austin, Texas  --  ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
**        "Luck is the residue of design."  --  Branch Rickey