[Dixielandjazz] Maria Elena...

glen page gpage at dccnet.com
Wed Feb 15 17:26:08 PST 2006

Regarding the recent posts re. Maria Elena.

I think that we can do better, certainly from the perspective of real jazz ,
to go further back than the mid 50's.

Although not issued at the time, and I do not know whether it is available
yet, Bunk Johnson recorded the tune with his regular band at the time, Jim
,George, Lawrence, Drag, and "Baby" ,on May 15th 1945.

He tried again in Dec. 1947 in NYC at the end of his career with a band of
his own choice that did not adhere to the demands of the so called experts.

Please let us not forget the real exponents of jazz, rough as they may have
been at the time. I do not have time to go back into my files to seek other
versions but there are sufficient examples of non traditional tunes being
played in the dance halls.

Cheers, Glen.