[Dixielandjazz] young Musicians

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Sun Feb 12 22:54:34 PST 2006

I did not get a chance to attend the first annual Youth Trad Jazz Festival
in Sacramento on Sat as I had a gig.  however, from talking to several of
the judges & clinicians, I understand that it was a roaring success.

Today at the STJS monthly Jazz Sunday, 3 youth bands performed, the band
from NC, Capital Focus from WA DC & our own STJS sponsored TNT (The New
Traditionalists).

I heard today, for the first time, a wonderful girl singer from the Capital
Focus JB.  She is 19.  I have never heard a teen-ager sing with the poise,
phrasing & professionalism as this one.  She absolutely knocked me & the
rest of the crowd out.

She came over to my gig after the meeting & sang some more.  I cannot say
enough about her.  She is going to be a force to be reckoned with.  And she
is about the nicest teen-ager I have ever met.

What a gem!
 Her name is Lena Seikaly.

 --Bob Ringwald K6YBV
The Fulton Street Jazz Band