[Dixielandjazz] What's wrong with this picture

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Fri Feb 10 09:34:58 PST 2006

This is from a recent post -

  Small cafe/Art bar in Hayes valley looking to hire a small jazz combo
for Fat Tuesday celebration February 28th, 8-10ish....

LW.  This is the prime time for OKOM groups.  I often book 2-3 gigs on fat Tuesday.  It pays like New Years eve.  I often go out as a duo with computer backgrounds but even that's more than this guy will want to pay.

Not much pay,

LW.  see above note

but great exposure

LW   Good golly miss Molly - I might have fallen for this one when I was 15 but this is the oldest chestnut that a bar operator can roll out.  No band that has played more than 3 gigs has heard this one.  If it's that small then how does he expect to draw the people that would remotely count to a band for more gigs?

and good eats and drinks for the band.

LW. no thanks I'll bring my lunch in a bag like every other working person in the country.  Give me the money instead.  This actually worked when I was 17 - where else could I get free drinks at 17?

Small combos are a must since we are a small establishment.

LW. What can I say - Computer guys call this an ID-10-T problem ( IDIOT )

Pls. email us your info
and any music samples if you can. Thanks!
LW.  I suppose he wants someone to send him a $15 CD that can be sold somewhere else.Do these guys go to school to learn this stuff?  I wonder if anyone will go for it?

Compensation: small compensation plus food & drink
LW. He keeps saying this - I got the picture.

Larry Walton
St. Louis