[Dixielandjazz] Glory of Gershwin

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Fri Feb 10 01:39:49 PST 2006

Steve Heist wrote:
Larry Adler did a CD about 5 years ago I guess, called "The Glory of
Gershwin"  He invited rock stars to sing Gershwin and he played, of course,
harmonica with them.

Actually, that CD was done in 1994 in honor of Larry's 80th birthday.
Produced by (of Beatles fame) George Martin.  Years ago, I mentioned in
length this CD on DJML.  Best song on the whole album is probably Sting
singing "Nice Work if You can Get it".  It just does not stop swinging!  A
must listen.  Each song is done by a different well-known star.  Some are
ok, some are not so ok, but the overall album is a delight, and know one
should miss Sting!

Steve Heist continues:
Bottom line: If we don't listen to everything we can, we are doomed to live
in a self designed rut...

This was the object of my post the other day when I mentioned that I work on
all the newest stuff out there in my studio for modelling shows.  Hours are
spent editing, stitching together, balancing, Equing, even speeding
up/slowing down tempos of different songs together so the gals can wiggle
properly down the walkway.  I hear lots of really good music, lots of really
boring stuff, too.  Sorta like when you go to hear any type of music, even
ours.

Jim