[Dixielandjazz] What is Traditional Jazz?

Graham Martin grahmartin at bigpond.com
Thu Feb 9 20:59:02 PST 2006

Steve Barbone said:
["Here is how the TJEN (Traditional Jazz Educator's Network) defines it. Their website is: http://www.prjc.org/tjen/

Cheers,
Steve
. . . . . snip Mission Statement . . . . .
"Traditional jazz" is defined as the various styles of New Orleans jazz and their outgrowths, encompassing styles sometimes called Dixieland, classic jazz, hot jazz, Chicago style, San Francisco style, etc.

Steve"]

G'day Steve,

I am so pleased you quoted the Traditional Jazz Educators Network. I had thought of doing so myself, especially the extended definition from their Style Guide http://www.prjc.org/tjen/styleguide.htm which does it on mainly on the basis of instrumentation and a description of the ensemble rather than quoting influences:

"Towards a Definition of Traditional Jazz

Before dividing this pie into logical pieces, we should describe the pie itself. What is "traditional jazz"? What are the common denominators that define it? In my view, "traditional jazz" in the proper sense of the term is jazz which exhibits all or most of the following characteristics:

1) Wind instruments playing polyphonically

2) Easily discernible chord patterns

3) 2/4 or 4/4 meter

4) Instrumentation approximating the following:

"FRONT LINE" (HORNS):

1. Trumpet or cornet

2. Clarinet or soprano sax

3. Trombone

4. Tenor, alto or bary sax (sometimes)

--or a subset of these

RHYTHM SECTION:

1. Piano

2. Banjo or guitar

3. Tuba, string bass or bass sax

4. Drums or washboard

--or a subset of these

5) Pre-bop harmonies and phrasing (the earlier the musical vocabulary employed, the greater the compliance to this part of our definition)

The single most distinguishing characteristic of traditional jazz is the first element above--the wind instruments playing polyphonically (a New Orleans tradition). This means that each is playing a different melodic line simultaneously. Most traditional jazz displays this characteristic. A performance that lacks this characteristic (either because there is a single wind instrument, or because the wind instruments are scored in "tutti") might still be considered "traditional jazz", depending on the degree to which it meets the other criteria, especially #4 and #5.

Using the five criteria above (remember, it's "all or most") as the broad definition of the genre, we can break that genre into a number of distinct stylistic approaches. While most traditional jazz groups blend these stylistic approaches to arrive at their own sound, the divisions below are the primary stylistic touchstones from which they proceed.

Any and all of these styles may include vocals. Nearly all are still performed today.

Note: The artist/group recorded output I have cited for each style contains some of the earliest and most definitive recorded instances of that style, though it may very well contain non-applicable recordings as well."

I also applaud your encouragement for people to get involved with the Traditional Jazz Educators Network. As a matter of fact, a few years back, I had some correspondence with them about their plans for going international. They responded that they had no short term plans to do this but maybe long term. I got the impression they felt they had their hands full educating American youngsters. And you do have to realise that it is basically a list of American educators who have some commercial (albeit educational) objectives for their members - as well as that fine Mission Statement you quoted.

Best,

Grah

Graham Martin
Email: grahmartin at bigpond.com