[Dixielandjazz] The Rolling Dixie Stones.

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 9 20:15:11 PST 2006

Vax wrote in answer:
> OK - I have kept silent, but I can't sit back with this any longer.   Steve -
> your statement reeks of "non-thinking" holier than thou crap!
> So - you are saying that those two Rolling Stones players, who probably
> couldn't get through the changes to "Original Dixieland One Step" or "Indiana"
> or
> even "Rose Room," are better musicians than:
> John Allred, Bill Allred, Ken Peplowski, Chuck Hedges, Jon-Eric Kelso, Jim
> Cullum, Dan Barrett, Howard Alden, Eddie Erikson, Johnny Varo, Duke Heitger,
> Ed
> Metz, Jr., and on and on???????????????????????
> GIVE ME A BREAK

OK, BREAK :-) VBG. No, not saying that at all, Mike. Most of the guys you
mention above are all around jazz/swing/mainstream musicians who also play
Dixieland when It suits them. And they are all excellent. I would not limit
them to Dixieland musicians, and or purveyors of Dixieland.

I view it as an "anti holier then thou crap" point. Most Dixieland musicians
realize that Dixieland is arguably the easiest form of jazz to play. Many
fans,  in their efforts to be "artsy", try to make it into a "holier than
thou", difficult music and sneer at "lesser" forms of jazz and/or pop and/or
rock. We get a lot of that "Dixieland is so hard to play" or "Dixieland is
so superior" on this chat list. It is good music to be sure, but not an
extraordinary challenge except for the instrumentally impaired.

I have no doubt that Richards and Taylor can get through those changes you
mention. Their chords are simple, direct, and go where you think they are
going to go. Virtually any musician can play them.

By way of bio, Mick Taylor played in the Jack Bruce Band with Carla Bley on
piano for six months, circa 1975. As you know, she is a superb (in my ears a
monster) modern jazz pianist/composer/arranger/musician. (from Oakland too)
Therefore, I would think even way back then, he made more than a few chord
changes that are quite a bit more challenging then the ones you mention.

Cheers,
Steve