[Dixielandjazz] Stars and songs. Conditioning

Lowell Busching verbose at daktel.com
Thu Feb 9 13:03:27 PST 2006

I had sent private emails concerning my spin on why the audiences go
crazy with some songs, other then how great the performer or the song
is. Like the Stones and "Satisfaction" at the Super Bowl. I was not
going to post it here, but got some encouragement from parties who shall
remain unknown.  If anyone thinks my theory has merit, you can say so.
Otherwise just go on with your threads.

Concerning the Stone's "bringing the house down" when they did
"Satisfaction" at the half time show: To me it was a perfect example of
what they teach in Psych classes about conditioning. I am sure I am
spelling it wrong, but the old Pavlov's dogs "trick" where you teach a
dog to salivate when you ring a bell and give it food.  Pretty soon you
do not even have to give it food or any other meaningful thing. You just
ring the bell and they salivate.

It is the same thing with the Stones doing "Satisfaction". (Or any
number of other key songs associated with a particular performer or
band.) They have been doing it for over 40 years now.  They hit the
first chord or something close to a chord, and the audience
automatically goes into a frenzy.  Mick knows that and so do the people
that put on those shows. If for some reason they were "dying" on stage
and getting no reaction from the audience, unlikely to be sure, and they
go into "Satisfaction" the audience starts salivating and gyrating.
Simple as that. Or like Louis later on when he would do "Hello Dolly"
for OKOM.  Instant recognition by the audience.  Ohs and Ah's

It does not mean it is that good necessarily. "Satisfaction" is
recognized and on that song, it was one of the first where even the
parents could understand the words!  That made it even better for the
young people. Both went into a frenzy at the time.

  Now it was about the only lyrics that were NOT censored by the
sponsors or network!

Success breed's success. Making the first million is the tough part.
After that you are home free. Right Steve?

How about The Saints? Musicians might hate it, but instant recognition.
Start of hand clapping and ecstasy by the audience, And Salivating.
Think about it.  Woof Woof

Lowell aka Mad Dawg