[Dixielandjazz] Earl Hines question

Robert Smith robert.smith at tele2.no
Thu Feb 9 05:23:10 PST 2006

According to my discography (Carey & McCarthy, 1952), Earl Hines recorded
two titles in Chicago on December 9, 1928, and a further four titles, also
in Chicago, on December 12, 1928. He then recorded eight titles for QRS (
including "Just Too Soon") in "Late December, 1928" in New York City.

I've no way of verifying this, but I would hazard a guess that the QRS date
was December 28, and somewhere along the line the "2" has been lost.
Unfortunately, there are no matrix numbers quoted for the QRS sides,
otherwise it might have been possible to check the dates against a sequence
of QRS matrix numbers.

Bob Smith