[Dixielandjazz] Question: what ever happened to taking "modern" songs and making them OKOM?

Stephen Heist steveheist at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 8 16:52:39 PST 2006

Hi to all,
Just a question I've been meaning to ask for a long time....  and perhaps a suggestion....

Back in the late 60's and early 70's, all the trad bands used to take "modern" tunes and turn them into trad tunes.
For example, Mack the Knife, Hello Dolly, Washington Square, Those Were The Days, and a host of others.

But now, I've heard a LOT of "convertable tunes", but nobody seems to be playing them in our style...  I'm just curious as to WHY?

I know there are a LOT of good songs today and in recent past that would "fit" into our style...  (Yes, you REALLY have to look for them... :-)
For just a few examples,

The musical, Chicago is LOADED with songs that could be done by a trad band.  (Especially Razzle Dazzle 'Em)
The song, One, from the musical, A Chorus Line, has great possibilities and an incredible non-standard chord progression.
The song by Randy Newman, I Love to See You Smile (Toy Story, I think) another great tune.
The singer/actor from Third Rock, John Lithgow, did a "children's album".  He does "From the Andes to the Indies in his Undies", "Cod Fish Ball". and loads of others.  There's a terrific song called, "The Mommy Song"  Check it out!
This is just off the top of my head, I'm KNOW there are TONS more...

Here's the suggestion, why don't we do two things:

1. If YOU hear a song that could possibly fit in OKOM style, let everyone on this list know about it, (a great way to share info here), AND

2. If the musicians on the list TRY some of these songs, and find out they're great and work well - again, fill us all in!!!  (Tell us how you may have altered it, etc.)

All the VERY Best,
Steve Heist

You can NOW visit my NEW website and check my schedule at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~steveheist/
Drop on by today!