[Dixielandjazz] Fooling the People

Stephen Heist steveheist at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 8 15:08:59 PST 2006

Hi all...

Just a few quick thoughts about this subject...

I have found over the years that part, and only part, BUT an invaluable
part, of being a musician is the ability to be an actor.

I know lots of musically great cats, but when you go to see them you know
instantly how there day has been.  I'm sure you know some of these guys...
It shows all over their face and manner.  You can tell when you enter the
club...  "Woah, Sam's had a crappy day!!!..."

I have always taken great pride in the fact that no matter when anyone
comes to hear me, they're going to see an upbeat fun kind of a guy having a
great time playing and singing - enjoying life.

I think the hardest day I ever had, was the afternoon when I had to take my
daughter to the hospital - Later, when I got to work - believe me - I
wanted to be anywhere ELSE in the world than in that bar, but I somehow
sucked it up and had a great night with the audience.  When I got off, I
fell apart - but they NEVER knew...

You HAVE to be able to "fool the people", in a sense, or else you are short
changing the public - there WILL be some days you feel like heck, things
are going terribly, you're just not into it, etc.
But you have to give the people what they're essentially paying for - a
good show and great music...  That's the "business" part of our music.

Just a thought, remember you're not just playing music - you're appearing
LIVE - make it count and let the audience enjoy it!

All my VERY Best,
Steve Heist

You can NOW visit my NEW website and check my schedule at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~steveheist/
Drop on by today!