[Dixielandjazz] Fooling the People was Super Bowl Halftime

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 8 12:41:12 PST 2006

"Jim Kashishian" <jim at kashprod.com>

> Bob Ringwald said:
>> The Stones have been fooling people for years.
>
> And, Steve answered:
>> Haven't we all?
>
> Dunno where that remark fits in, Steve.  I don't, at least not on purpose,
> try to fool anyone.  What you see/hear is what I have to offer.  Nor does
> anyone else in our band.
> At all times, even when fooling around (pun meant!), the music is the basis
> of the matter.

Simply a play on words, not to be taken literally Jim. The "We've been
fooling the public for many years", or "Are you still fooling the public?"
is a common greeting among American Jazz Musicians. A sort of tongue in
cheek put down of one's self and/or one's view of what it is we do for a
living. I guess one could call it an American Jazz idiomatic expression.

When used in a more literal put down sense musically, or politically or what
ever, it deserves to be put into perspective by such as my remark.

Just a jazz musician's view that we should take the music seriously, but not
ourselves, hence the self deprecation. And an opinion that we should not put
down other musicians, specifically naming them, in a public forum.

IMO, the more secure the musician is, the easier it is to say about one's
self is that he/she is "fooling the public".

Hope that explains it for any who didn't understand what I meant.

Cheers,
Steve