[Dixielandjazz] Super Bowl Halftime

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 7 08:01:07 PST 2006

"Robert S. Ringwald" <robert at ringwald.com> wrote about the half time show.

> I am sure glad I did not watch it. YUK

If not, then how can you dislike it?

Which brings up a broader perspective. Like Mick Jagger has been connecting
with large audiences for 55 years now, without pause. Something very few
musicians, jazz or otherwise, have ever been able to do.

That kind of performer is someone we can all learn from. The Super Bowl
audience was enthused about the Stones visual antics, the improvisation
between guitars, and Jagger's athletic "in your face" presentation.

Their rendition of "I Can't Get No Satisfaction" brought the house down, and
quite possibly most of the billion TV viewers. It Included some fresh guitar
counterpoint improvisation, that made the song "new" all over again. Despite
the fact that they have been playing it over and over for 50 years. Like
"The Saints" to us Dixieland Bands, except that most of us coast on that
tune because we "hate" it.

The difference between working professionals and the rest of the pack?

Many lessons to be learned in watching and analyzing that program. But if
past history is any guide, many of us will ignore those lessons and the
opportunities that result from learning them. And in our ignorance, we will
continue to bitch about how OKOM is unappreciated by the unwashed masses.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone