[Dixielandjazz] THE ANIMAL SCHOOL -- A FABLE

dingle at baldwin-net.com dingle at baldwin-net.com
Mon Feb 6 08:14:56 PST 2006

eighthst7 at aol.com wrote:

>ONCE UPON A TIME ALL OF THE ANIMALS DECIDED TO START A SCHOOL.  AND SO  THEY
>BEGAN.  THEY DECIDED THE CURRICULUM SHOULD BE SWIMMING, RUNNING AND  FLYING.
>THE FISH GOT A'S IN SWIMMING, BUT TO THEIR DISTRESS COULD NOT PASS  RUNNING OR
>FLYING.  THE RABBITS EXCELLED IN RUNNING BUT DIDN'T MAKE IT IN  SWIMMING.
>THNE DUCKS WERE PRETTY GOOD AT FLYING AND SWIMMING BUT  COULD ONLY MUSTER A D IN
>RUNNING (PROBABLY THE TEACHERS FAULT).  THE GROUND  HOGS REBELLED AGAINST THE
>SCHOOL,  AND STARTED THEIR  OWN DAMN SCHOOL  BECAUSE THEY  DIDN'T OFFER
>DIGGING IN THE CURICULUM.  AND THEY ALL  LIVED UNHAAPILY, BITCHING AT EACH OTHER
>FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES.
>
>RICHARD REDMOND --FORMER PUBLIC SCHOOL BAND DIRECTOR --AND JAZZ BAND LEADER
>IN PALM SPRINGS,CA

You're shouting again, Dick. Lay off the Cap Lock and just state your
message, please.

As to your content, here is an alternate scenerio:

Since grading seemed to be the problem and made some student unhappy
when they could'nt score high, the teachers and schools decided to go
without grades so no one would feel inferior if they got a lower score
than others. This seemed to solve the ego thing, though without a means
of determing how and if progress was being made, students had no
incentive to extend themselves and try the harder. In time they just
showed up, moved up a year and graduated. That some could not read well,
do basic math, and were unable to write enough to present a resume, --
well - no problem. They just signed up for college and were enrolled for
a year or two of remedial courses to master the skills they were
supposed to master in K-12.  These will be the leaders of our country in
the next few decades.
Advice to us older folks - salt it away when you can -- the "ungraded"
legislatures of tomorrow..."wil bee riting da lawz and da bilz that wil
run are kuntry."
One man's opinion -- but don't grqde me on it --  it might make me feel
too sad to try working harder.
Don (almost a MS in education but the grad school work was basically BS
in the bovine sense.)