[Dixielandjazz] Schools

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sat Feb 4 03:58:08 PST 2006

Pat wrote about our
series of school books for music education that is almost ready to come out
for the schools in Spain>>

Hi Jim,
what a great project. Congratulations for being involved.

Thanks. I've been working in the studio since summer on the 30 CD's involved
(6 books, in the 5 different languages that are spoken in Spain).

Includes sounds of the country, city sounds, home sounds, sounds of about
every instrument you can imagine, then the "karoake" things the band
recorded (some 25 songs), plus popular Spanish songs for singing & dancing.

Don (Mop) asked what songs we recorded, but other than the Saints & Happy
Birthday, they are all Spanish & regional folk songs.  We jazzed up a bit
the ones that could be done that way.  Left some others in original style,
but with some improvisation in the background.  You can still hear that it
is the Canal Street Jazz Band playing, and not just some recording musicians
or (horrors) drum machines & computers.  Some of our songs from our Cd's are
included on the CD's also.

I inserted music & effects that were either given to me by the publishers,
or recorded myself when not available.  An ice skater(a knife scraping
across the bottom of a fry pan) is accompanied by waltz music...., etc.  A
kid talking on a phone is me talking through from the office phone to the
studio phone, and then changing the pitch of my voice.

Our drummer recorded about every percussion instrument we could think of,
and then some.  He is a conservatory trained percussionist, which means
handling everything percussive, even marimba, etc.

I can play with pitch without altering speed, and can change speed without
altering tone, etc. with equipment I use in the studio.  Great fun, and
requires a great deal of imagination!  And, I used to get in trouble in
school for always dreaming, looking out the window.  As it turns out, my
imagination pays off!   :>

By the way, the band was all paid better than average recording fees (we're
a better than average band!), and will get "performance rights" payment for
sale of the CD's (which ain't much, but it dribbles in).  I never, ever ask
favors of other musicians, nor do I do favors for others.  It's business!

P.s. to Bill Sargent.  Yes, Bill, it's true that vocalists (& instruments)
recorded can be "tuned up" after recording. It can be done on a single pass,
setting properly the parameters on a special machine first, and can be a
lifesaver in an emergency. I suspect it is used a great deal out there.  I
almost never do that, though.  Make 'em do it again!  Fortunately, I don't
work with many people that aren't able to do their gig.

Jim
www.kashprod.com