[Dixielandjazz] Cd sales (live)

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sat Feb 4 02:26:53 PST 2006

I believe it was Tom W. that wrote:
Buying a Cd and getting to shake the artists hand and maybe getting it
signed is a big thrill for many of them, as hokey as it may sound.

This is certainly true for us.  We have found that if we offer one of our
(now out of date) posters of the band as a freebee with the purchase of a
CD, the sales response is great.
And, people really do like to talk to the band.  Giggly girls like to crowd
around while a friend takes a picture.  Ah, fame....  I love to see their
faces as they're calculating the years when (after they ask "how long you
been playing together?") I tell them 38 yrs, and they realize that's twice
their age!    :>

What I wouldn't do, personally, is go through the crowd waving a CD on the
break, as Tom suggested.  I'm direct enough from the stage to aim a comment
at a customer that is leaving that he/she won't be allowed out the door by
the waiters if they don't have our CD in hand (gets a good laugh), but off
the stage I'm as shy as they come.  Just a personal thing.  I've had that
done to me when in the audience, and I don't like it.  Hawking the product
seems to be cheapening it, at least with audiences over here.  Just like no
one would ever, ever expect or offer a tip here for a song to be played
(except maybe a visiting American!)

I merely state that we have our CD's on sale at the break.  Normally, if one
person buys one, others start coming up, especially if they see you signing
them.

All of this works in small clubs & in concerts.  Company shindigs, coctail
parties, weddings, etc., I have a few with me, but only haul them out if
someone asks.  I figure I'm there to do a job, and am not the "big item" of
the evening.

Jim