[Dixielandjazz] On record companies...

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Fri Feb 3 12:03:56 PST 2006

Hi Jim:

I  understand that philosophy well and have not problem with it until
folks use it and similar arguments as an excuse for Jazz recordings not
selling enough to make back what they cost to make them.   Or that
there is hardly anyway to make any money from selling recordings.
There is and if there was not there would not be fifty billion Record
labels trying to  do it.

And yes my statements are sweeping, and meant to be generically
speaking,  like in the shoe store,  If it fits wear it if not don't get
pissed off at those of us who do exploit it for profit just because you
can't or "Choose" not to really try and make money off your product and
promote the Jazz industry as a whole.

I believe they refer to that kind of recordings as  "Vanity Records"

The primary purpose of selling records is to promote the artist and
garner, hopefully a wider fan base and thereby enhance the artist live
performance opportunities and income from playing live gigs, and having
more money for more promotion to grow the artists career.   Many
artists start out as starving artists and most of them stay that way
all their lives, why ?  because many of them are not Artists at all
just average musicians who make sometimes pleasant music but not
anything to excite the masses.

Again I am speaking generically here.   Not every shoe fits every foot.
   I say ya gotta try a few pair on till you find the one that Fits Your
foot.   I personally treat the Music business and all aspects of it as
a business and it has always treated me like one in return.    I have
made substantial amounts of money in the business and I have spent
substantial amounts of money in the business, you win some and you lose
some, but you can indeed win with the right business applications and a
lot of hard work.

I know I know musicians took that word out of their vocabulary years
ago and call it Playing music.   That is the problem for the serious
ones who work and try to ply it as a trade, up against all the folks
who are just content to PLAY at it.

I get to Play music because I have worked my butt off for 40 years to
develop and often chase an ever elusive source of good paying live gigs
not only for my own band but for countless others.   Perhaps it is
indeed time for me to just sell my castle and move to Spain, :))  I
really like the music there and the food is also good.  And so far I
have not pissed anybody off there. :))  well maybe one photographer who
begged to come out and shoot photos of the band for Free,  he did, and
I took him to dinner and even bought him several bottles of good
Spanish wine which we shared, :))  and then he tried to sell them to me
for $1000.00.    I told him to keep them.  I hope he got mad and
exploited the Hell out of them.  :))

Cheers,

Tom