[Dixielandjazz] On record companies...

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Fri Feb 3 02:53:24 PST 2006

Tom Wiggins wrote:
>Because they don't promote or market themselves aggressively and neither do
the
labels that sign them.

We actually deal through a Spanish record company to get our finished
product out there.  It is a deal I made with them mainly so as not to have
to do all the legal things people are talking about now on DJML.  They do
all that!  That's all they do, though.  And, they really could have promoted
the sale of the CD (which they do have out there in the shops) after we did
the Royal Wedding awhile back, for instance.

I suggested they do some promotion at that time, but it never went anyplace.
Not that I push it much, so you're right, Tom, about not promoting our CD's
ourselves.

But, great sales were never the reason we did the recordings.  We really
just wanted our fans to have our music.  Never did look at it from the money
making view, nor would I wish to.  So, sweeping statements (see following)
just can't take in everyone's particular situation..........

Tom's "sweeping" statement:
They (bands) are all content to sit around and be cool and try to impress
the Jazz literati and academic set from the IAJE in a mutual admiration
society atmosphere.

Same goes for putting our CD's on a site like Jazz Baby.  We are not looking
for travel, so why try a promotion in the U.S.?  I'd rather entice people
over to see us live!!!
If you show up from DJML, you're most likely to get a dinner out of me, and
a FREE CD!
Not very commercial, I know.    :>

Jim