[Dixielandjazz] CD Costs

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 2 18:13:13 PST 2006

On the last CD we did, the glass masterer / replicator would not do it
without e-mail proof from Harry Fox agency that we had paid for the licenses
on those tunes requiring them.

Cost for a 4 minute tune was $.08. Anything over that was additional cent or
2 depending upon length. So roughly, 1000 CDs at one tune licensed is $80
more, 15 tunes licensed would be $1200 more.

I licensed 5 tunes, (Route 66, Teach Me Tonight, et al) and said the rest
were public domain. I suspect many replicators would not enforce it, but
this one did and I supplied a master sheet of tunes, playing time for each
and the permission email from Fox to me on those tunes which I licensed.

However, that CD was recorded free, by students of the music school, at a
beautiful and very acoustic, University Concert Hall during a performance.
ZERO studio time. Sound not quite as good as a $10,000 studio session, but
quite acceptable IMO, more energy, IMO, and we hit our $ breakeven in 3
months with sales at local gigs.

Cheers,
Steve