[Dixielandjazz] CD costs

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Thu Feb 2 13:50:18 PST 2006

With all due respect Mike:

those 58% of music fans are correct, on both counts of their statements.

It's all in how it's done,  I have produced and sold a lot of
recordings since 1978, on some pretty diverse genres of music, and I
have sold them anywhere from $6.50 to $8.00 wholesale and made a
substantial amount of profit at that price for the record label which
sold about 150,000 copies of each in vinyl no less.  They actually
retailed for $16.99 to $33.00  each   So Who do you think made the most
money?  The distributor and the retailer that's who.   Not to mention
that the main reason that so many small labels do not make money is not
because they did not sell recordings, but because the distributors and
the retailers simply did not pay them for the recordings they they took
on credit terms but had no intention of paying.   The record industry
is full of ruthless sharks and anybody who ventures there without
knowing this is simply naive to put it nicely.   I have met
rattlesnakes and cobras that I trusted more.

I now make and sell CD,s for about $10.00 each  and have not lost money
or not recouped the investment on any of them yet.

Far too many artists and producers spend far too much money on
production than is necessary on many products that do not have a proven
market to sell them to.   Got to shop for the best deal on the studio,
the engineer, producer, musicians, graphics artists, printers,
manufacturers etc.   Plus it really helps if you are recording somebody
and something that the public wants to buy.   Not always an easy task
however, and not every artist can be a financially successful recording
act.

But to not listen to the music buyers complaining about the price being
too high for a CD is reaping just what the Major record labels sewed  a
long time ago.   They have been raping the music buyers for a very long
time and have no ideas about stopping anytime soon.   Now with the
internet and downloads many excellent artists are marketing their own
music successfully and making far more money than they ever would or
could with a major record label.

You don't need to have a Million Seller to make money in this business,
you just need to control costs and market successfully, unfortunately
many artists want to be the next PET ROCK.

Many of them also make the big mistake of putting out numerous CDs
before they ever recouped the costs to make the first one, with this
great dream that if we make it they will buy it.   If you didn't make
any money with the first one because NOBODY bought it or at least not
enough in sufficient numbers to get your money back, why would you be
foolish enough to make another one and keep pouring money down that
hole in the studio.

I am of course speaking generically here and not saying that this is
anyone in particular's situation.

If more ( all)  artists would Treat this business like a business
rather than an ego massage they might be a lot more successful
financially anyway.   If it were so hard TO MAKE BACK THE INVESTMENT on
a recording there would not be fifty billion record labels out there
trying to do it.   The tax write offs alone are worth the investment
especially for the independent artists who learn how to do it correctly.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins