[Dixielandjazz] George Formby and Bix Beiderbecke?

Graham Martin grahmartin at bigpond.com
Wed Feb 1 18:21:32 PST 2006

Bill Haesler said, in part:

[“Dear Graham,

’The Bix Beiderbecke Affair’ was a terrific 6-part British TV mini-series starring James Bolam and Barbara Flynn. The sound track featured a lot of jazz so perhaps your CD features music from the series.

More information please.

So far as I can find, George Formby never recorded ‘I'm Looking Over a Four Leaf Clover’.”]

Hi Bill and G’day All,

I can’t say that I am a George Formby fan but I am definitely a huge Bix fan, and so I am a bit intrigued by this mystery track "I’m Looking Over A 4 Leaf Clover". Unfortunately the extra information I can provide is a bit scant.

The CD is one of those cheap $5 things you find in a non-categorised display stand outside the record shop. The front has a picture of Bix and the following copy:

25 Tracks   Over 70 Minutes

Bix Beiderbecke (Large Heading)

The Beiderbecke Affair (small letters in reverse print)

Double Play

On the back page of the front booklet:

Recording ref no. GRF079

It then has part of the same photo with a short bio about Bix

Then the note:

“This recording is compiled from early and in many cases, historical recordings. Any collection reflects not only different periods of the artist’s work but also the varying, often limited recording techniques available at the time. Modern technology such as stereo enhancement and digital remastering have been used to preserve and reconstruct rare recordings that would otherwise have been lost. The Compact Disc, with its high resolution can reveal limitations of the tape source, but will not hinder the pure musical listening pleasure of the valuable collector’s reference series.”

It would therefore seem to be a recording containing tracks made by Bix and I do not think has anything to do with the BBC series.

The tracks are:

  1.. Riverboat Shuffle
  2.. Tiger Rag
  3.. Davenport Blues
  4.. I’m Looking Over A 4 Leaf Clover
  5.. Trumbology
  6.. Clarinet Marmalade
  7.. Ostrich Walk
  8.. Way Down Yonder In New Orleans
  9.. 3 Blind Mice
  10.. Clementine
  11.. Royal Garden Blues
  12.. Coquette
  13.. When
  14.. Lovable
  15.. Is It Gonna Be Long
  16.. Oh You Have No Idea
  17.. Felix The Cat
  18.. Taint So Honey Taint So
  19.. I’d Rather Cry Over You
  20.. Louisiana
  21.. Futuristic Rhythm
  22.. Raising The Roof
  23.. Rockin Chair
  24.. Strut Miss Lizzie
  25.. Georgia On My Mind

Of the tracks that I had heard previously, they all sound like the authentic Bix recordings. For instance, ‘Davenport Blues’ that precedes the mystery track is the one recorded in Richmond, Indiana, January 26, 1925 by Bix and his Rhythm Jugglers. I would be prepared to put up good money on my ears on this one! But there are no details given about any of the tracks.

“The recording was manufactured by Tring International PLC, Licensed from Long Island Music Co. Ltd. Country of Manufacture as stated on Record Label” – given as EEC.

Right at the bottom of this inside front cover is this strange note:

“This album contains some tracks that are re recorded. All single artist tracks are performed by the original artist. Tracks featuring groups were recorded using as many of the original group members as possible.”

So why do I think that “I’m Looking Over A 4 Leaf Clover” is George Formby? Well it sounds like him, Lancashire accent and all. And me being a Pom who listened constantly to BBC radio from birth (probably prior to), especially post WWII when George Formby was always being played on “Family Favourites”. Why do I think it is Paul Whiteman? Because it sound like him, especially the really complex semi jazz orchestra arrangement. Why do I think it is Bix? It sounds like him and the recording as far as I can tell has most of the other tracks by the real Bix, but I will concede it is difficult to tell because the solo is over the top of the Out chorus. Then I have this memory that George Formby did indeed go to America (maybe it was Canada) to record with Paul Whiteman – I even seem to remember it was some kind of audition for him to join Whiteman. But that last thought really could be a figment of my imagination. The recording quality sounds a bit like a radio cut.

That is all I can tell you folks, except I did get a note from Pat Ladd who also has a recording called “The Bix Beiderbecke Affair”. But I can assure you that this is no reconstruction by a late British Band. However, with the personnel listed and headed up by Kenny Baker and Don Lusher, I am definitely going to get hold of that Dormouse DM20 recording by the Frank Ricotti All Stars.

Talking of Bix salute recordings, if listmates have not heard “The Bix Beiderbecke Era” by the New York Allstars lead by Randy Sandke on Nagel-Heyer records, you are missing a treat!”

Best,

Grah

Graham Martin
Email: grahmartin at bigpond.com