[Dixielandjazz] Check out YouTube - Tiger Rag

Ron L'Herault lherault at bu.edu
Sun Dec 31 14:39:50 PST 2006

In the mid to late 1980s, I was playing a gig at a beach in Newport, part of
a regular summer music series.  The band, the Dixie All Stars, played Tiger
Rag as a set closer and I started to walk off the stand.  I was met part way
by an older gentleman who introduced himself as Eddie Edwards.  That name
pretty much stopped me in my tracks and I immediately thought back over our
just-ended-tune, wondering if it was up to snuff.  I asked him if he was
related to the ODJB trombonist.  He was.  That was his dad. They had
property in Middletown, RI, which is close to Newport and summered there. I
guess we played the tune OK because he complemented me on it.  We had a
great chat that day and corresponded a bit off and on after that.  He gave
me an LP his dad made late in life and a couple of postcards he had
reproduced with the band's picture on it.  I was very pleased and lucky to
meet him and his wife and to have this close link to a great jazz band.

Ron L