[Dixielandjazz] Regarding query about Dick Shannon

Don Ingle dingle at nomadinter.net
Sun Dec 31 12:19:08 PST 2006

Marek Boym wrote for information on Dick Shannon. Don Ingle responds:

Regarding your query about Dick Shannon. A blast from my past.
Dick worked for several years with my dad, Red Ingle. I worked one year
on the band with him and he was a most pleasant, and talented player.
Dick retired from the road in the '50's to lead a small combo on a
Houston TV station dailylive  show. Last time I heard of him was that he
was still living in Houston, but that was many years ago. He had talked
several times about his association with Peck Kelly, and hearing that
name again reminded me that Kelly wrote a song later recorded by
Teagarden and others, Eddie Miller among them) as "Stomp Mr. Henry Lee."
Dick said Kelly was a bit of a recluse and never wanted to leave his
home, so he became legendary just because most people never saw or heard
him play, but heard much of him from T and others.
I do not know if Dick is still with us. My dad would have been 100 this
past October, so if alive Dick would be "long in the tooth."
But it was a pleasure to work with him and your post reminded me of a
good friend sadly long forgotten.
Hopefully someone from the Houston area will have more current information.
Don Ingle
Snowless in No. Michigan -- hard as it is to beleive.