[Dixielandjazz] It's Trad, Dad

Dingo roadie at btinternet.com
Sat Dec 30 15:48:14 PST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: Judy Eames
To: DJML
Sent: 30 December 2006 10:24
Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] It's Trad, Dad

Dan asked :

> By the way, was that really Helen Shapiro singing?  Sounded an awful
> lot like a person of another gender and maybe of another ethnic group

> . . .
Helen Shapiro did her own songs, even when she started out at about 15 her
voice was very deep.

She has now retired I think (can't imagine why ... she's still young for
jazz :-).  She frequently sang with Humphrey Lyttelton and (for trivia
collectors) was once taught by "Mrs Barnes"  i.e John Barnes wonderful reed
player and raconteur./dixielandjazz
~~~~~~~~

I did the sound for Helen & Humph at a jazz festival in 1999 - she was a
knock out !! Her vocals on the likes of "Solitude" & "Mood Indigo" (with
trombone and bass-clarinet backing) was spine tingling. Very professional but
also very easy to work with and 'one of the boys' !!
~
John D