[Dixielandjazz] It's Trad, Dad

Marek Boym nmboym at 012.net.il
Sat Dec 30 15:05:50 PST 2006

Hello Charlie,
In Europe they still make it!
I attendeed the Enkhuizen Jazz Festival two years ago. That small (1994 pop.
16,037) Dutch town has several jazz bands, the best known of which is the
Herringtown Jazz Band.  But, more important, one band - The Hot Revival Jazz
Band - is young!  I had heard them before in Bude, England, but here they
were on their home ground.  On the Pub Crawl night I went to the bar where
they usually play.  Wow!  At 63, I felt ancient!  And the place was so
packed I could not turn to face the band!  The young public not only enjoyed
the music, but actually knew most songs played, and often chanted with the
band.

At another venue - paid - I had a chat with a teenager.  When he heard I was
from Israel, he enquired about jazz in Israel, and then said: "Probably same
as in Enkhuizen, I guess."  He had never been abroad, or even away from
Enkhuzen, and was very surprised to hear that jazz was not as popular in
other places as in his home town!
So, perhaps jazz has emigrated and is alive and well in Europe (and other
places, Japan for example)/
Cheers