[Dixielandjazz] The George Lewis in Japan 1963 DVD.

Fr M J (Mike) Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Fri Dec 29 17:11:30 PST 2006

Anyone with an interest in George Lewis and who hasn't obtained this DVD
(http://www.evergreenmusic.org/), really should.  The original videotape is
excellently preserved, and really amounts to a true window in time.  The set
for the first few tracks is a riot, in that it's a (hopefully deliberately)
minimalist attempt at a Preservation Hall look.  The "small" feel comes
across perfectly.  What fascinates me is that the only "audience" is men,
and all in suits... including the excited Anglo in the front row puffing
away at a stogie nearly to viewer (my) distraction.

The rest of the tracks are gems, too.

At 30 euros (approx $40), it's really hard to beat.  Unexpectedly, the liner
notes are superb.

That's all, folks,
----
Etc,

Fr M J (Mike) Logsdon, Vicar-general
North American Old Roman Catholic Church (Utrecht Succession)
Archdiocese of California
www.naorc.org