[Dixielandjazz] Jazz is not a museum piece

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Fri Dec 29 10:57:24 PST 2006

Steve Said: Many of those folks
want not to hear a jazz take by today's greats, but a nostalgic rendition of
some dead guy's version.
________________________________
I think you are right - The guy that plays cornet for me can do an excellent
Harry James and the people love it.  A lot of us sell nostalgia and I see
nothing wrong with it.  A big band leader that I have been playing with for
many years has some tunes in his library that the only thing about the tunes
is that they have the same names as standard tunes.  Occasionally someone
takes issue.  We used to do Christmas concerts in malls and such places when
I was in the AF band and we had some rock and jazz versions of traditional
Christmas Carols.  Boy did we get negative reactions on those.

Many people just aren't ready to hear their favorite old tune done
differently.

Trouble is that's the whole rationale behind DJ's who can do that at a bush
of a button.
Larry
St. Louis