[Dixielandjazz] Mixed Race Recording/Jamming

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Thu Dec 28 19:18:03 PST 2006

It did not stop there and then either folks:

I had many problems trailblazing with mixed members in my bands in the
60,s and early 70,s
they were forbidden in Holiday Inns, and even the Fairmont in S.F.
Until I finally booked Terrell Prude there.

It was not about the quality of the players but the fear that they
would attract what management
 considered the undesirable clientele to see and hear them.

Was a Hell of a Fight  trust me, and the Musicians Union was not a
damned bit of help either, and we at that time had a Black Sax man as
the Secretary too, but  he was so scared of losing his day gig in the
office he would not stand up for any Black player who complained.

He was a nice man too, but spineless, and the ONLY Black Player that I
ever refused to HIRE, which was too bad because he was an excellent
player, just a token Black wimp on the Union Payroll to keep the rest
of them shut up about the way things really were.

Cheers, and Jeers, and we did OVERCOME  heck The Fairmont even hired
James Brown, and The Platters,  whoopeee!!

James did however get even with them, he went downstairs to Sydney
Mobel's Exquisite Jewelry Store while he was appearing and saw photos
of the Diamond rings Sydney had made for Frank Sinatra, and a couple of
other Stars and told Sydney that he wanted him to make him a ring
bigger and better than any of theirs, so Sydney made him one for
$50,000.00 and James charged it to his hotel room, left the Hotel and
went home with a week left on his contract and told the managers he was
sick, catch me next time:))

Now of course you all want to know if The Fairmont paid Sydney, of
course they did he rented his store space from them :))

James was probably still laughing about that caper as he Boarded the
Night Train Christmas morning and rode outta here for the last time :))

Tom Wiggins