[Dixielandjazz] Mixed Race Recording/Jamming

Steven Holzer slholzer at iquest.net
Thu Dec 28 15:28:57 PST 2006

The casual (and discrete) mixing of black and white jazzmen in the
earliest times was undoubtedly facilitated by the fact that white
jazzmen were nearly as socially unacceptable to mainstream America as
blacks were. Having already made the choice to face censure for pursuing
the jazz muse and living the jazz life, white musicians were not really
looking at a heavy additional price for "fraternizing". By contrast, the
black musicians were never free of risk, including the possibility of
getting lynched, if their activities came to the attention of the wrong
people or seemed in any way forward. I think you'll find that early
mixing took place far more frequently in the blacks' own venues than
otherwise, and that blacks who were, for whatever reason, allowed to
have a "presence" in white venues were invariably constrained to observe
strict standards of behavior and segregation.

Mixed record sessions probably didn't stir up too much trouble because
they weren't much different in principle from Vernon and Irene Castle
hiring a black band or the Streckfus riverboats using black bands to
attract customers. Most people listening to the records probably didn't
know who was white and who was black, and if they did, they didn't have
to observe any "untoward" behavior that might have occurred at the session.

The inclusion of blacks in white bands on the open stage was an entirely
different matter. It was courageous of Benny Goodman and Gene Krupa to
use them, and still more courageous of the black musicians to be the
test cases. The cited example of the Red Norvo trio and Charlie Mingus
demonstrates how important it was that persons with the celebrity status
of Goodman and Krupa took the first steps, as persons of lesser
commercial value probably would have been squelched immediately.  Blacks
were still struggling for acceptance in the mainstream of the American
entertainment marketplace decades later, when Bobby Darin had to go to
bat for Dick Gregory as his opening act at the Copacabana and Nat King
Cole could not keep his variety show on network tv for lack of
color-blind sponsors.

Steve Holzer