[Dixielandjazz] electronic recording

Stan Brager sbrager at socal.rr.com
Thu Dec 28 08:35:50 PST 2006

Ted;

The process was developed in the early twenties and Bessie Smith was the
first performer to be commercially recorded using the electric process.

For more information about electrical recording and its history, I recommend
the book "From Tin Foil To Stereo" by Oliver Read and Walter l. Welch. The
book was published by Howard W. Sams Company and bears the Library of
Congress number 75-5412. My copy is the second edition printed in 1977.

Actually, the above book looks at the entire gamut of the recording
industry's history. One of the most interesting parts of the book mentions
that it was Edison who first thought up the idea of electric recording and
actually used it for recording telephone conversations. These recordings
could be heard on playback using telephone headphones. It was not deemed
practical for commercial recordings at that time.

Stan
Stan Brager