[Dixielandjazz] Woody redux

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Thu Dec 28 08:01:06 PST 2006

(quote from Steve B. about a review).....Perhaps the most interesting
conclusion to be drawn from his US tour is that there is a newspaper review
of his performance, AND NEW ORLEANS JAZZ, AND DIXIELAND in just about every
city where he performs. How many of us get that kind of publicity?

(snip from the review posted on DJML)....... While Allen has surrounded
himself with good musicians and is competent enough in his own right, the
music they play is of another age, a kind of feel-good museum piece that
without Allen¹s name and presence would certainly have limited appeal, at
least in a concert setting.

(my comments).... the remark the reviewer made about "and is competent
enough in his own right", has been argued about quite strongly already on
DJML, and even my mailman doesn't agree with this reviewer's opinion.

I don't know if I like the kind of music I play being referred to as "a kind
of feel-good museum piece", and we all know that it doesn't have "limited
appeal" if it at least gets heard.  This guys opinions are not really very
knowledgeable, and probably should be tossed in the bin!

So, it's ancient & dead (a museum piece), and is only enjoyed by a few!  I'm
not sure that kind of publicity is good for OKOM at all.

Jim