[Dixielandjazz] Guitar vs. Banjo

Scott Anthony santh at pacbell.net
Wed Dec 27 15:51:28 PST 2006

I didn't mean to start a big controversy, but a guitar neck married to a
banjo "bottom" (better known as a body) is still a banjo, not a guitar. As
such, it inherently has greater volume. If you could make a guitar top as
thin as a banjo head, you'd probably have an instrument equally as loud -
however, it wouldn't last very long - it would cave in as soon as you tuned
it up.

The reason guitars could not be picked up in early recording is they were
NOT LOUD ENOUGH. Banjos are LOUD, especially tenor banjos because they are
high pitched.

As for Condon, did he not have at least a mic in front of him? If so, I
would consider his guitar to be "amplified" if not what is now considered to
be an "electric" guitar with a pickup.

All I can say is that banjos are louder and with less sustain than guitars,
whether 4 or 6-string. The use of either depends on what kind of sound is
desired. Before amplification, whether with or without a mic, you could
always hear a banjo more than a guitar.

Scott Anthony