[Dixielandjazz] Jim Crow

David Dustin postmaster at fountainsquareramblers.org
Tue Dec 26 19:07:20 PST 2006

On Dec 25, 2006, at 2:11 AM, Bill Haesler wrote:

>> I don't think it had anything to do with his being Jewish or his
> being fed up with Jim Crow. I think it had everything to do with [Benny
> Goodman] getting the best players in his band regardless of race or
> background. Period.<

Sure, every white jazzman must have wanted ³the best players in his band
regardless of race.² But only a couple guys dared to integrate bands/small
groups openly, Goodman and then Krupa. It took huge talent, huge principles,
and huge popularity to be able to fly successfully in the face of convention
back in early 1940s America and integrate a band without resort to ³Cuban²
or other masquerades. Knowing something about discrimination in American
life, I reason it was possible that Goodman might have had an impetus beyond
the ordinary where it came to wanting the best players in his band
regardless of race.  But I didn¹t know him, am not a Goodman scholar, wasn¹t
there and I sense there are list readers who are much better qualified than
I to speculate on his pioneering motives.  Either way, we owe him.

David Dustin