[Dixielandjazz] Oscar Klein obit

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 26 14:42:06 PST 2006

Even though he played with some great American OKOMers, Oscar Klein may not
be too familiar to some Americans. In 1962, on my honeymoon, I jammed with
some players at a club in Frankfurt and remember one guy who played guitar
trumpet and clarinet. I had my mouthpiece with me only, and borrowed his
clarinet. It was Oscar Klein. On that same trip, I jammed with my cousin, a
trumpet player who was gigging on Capri. His pianist? Romano Mussolini, with
whom Klein also played. Small world.

Sadly,
Steve Barbone

European Jewish Press - Brussels, Belgium
Jazz legend Oscar Klein dies

By Oliver Bradley  European Jewish Press - Brussels, Belgium 26/Dec/2006

BERLIN (EJP)--- One of the world¹s legendary jazz artists Oscar Klein died
last week at his home in Plüderhausen, in south-western Germany. The
Austrian-born trumpeter was best known for his expressive renditions of
swing and Dixieland jazz in the so called Chicago Style fashion. His grasp
of this aggressive technique guaranteed him widespread acclaim throughout
Europe, where he also performed with his guitar, clarinet and harmonica.

Klein was born in the southern Austrian city of Graz, in 1930. His family
fled the country following Germany¹s takeover, in order to escape Nazi
persecution against the country¹s Jews. The family settled in Switzerland.
At 18, Klein went to Italy to learn graphic arts. During his time in
Florence, he began to auto-didactically teach himself to play the
instruments that would eventually make him famous. He was primarily
influenced by the trumpeting styles of Roy Eldrige and Cootie Willimas and
grasped most genres ­ ranging from ragtime and blues finger-styles, on the
guitar, to Creole and blues sounds, on the clarinets and harmonica.
Although he chose to maintain his residency in Basel Switzerland, Klein went
to Austria in the early 1950s to begin his music career. Jazz was just
becoming popular in Vienna and Klein took advantage of a market that was not
yet overrun by competition ­ having been able to solidly establish himself
in his native country¹s music circuit.

Eventually his name made the rounds of his American contemporaries who
themselves were intrigued by the fledgling European Jazz scene and the
players, such as Klein, were instrumental in proliferating it.
Klein¹s career took its first leap forward when he joined Joe Zawinul¹s
Fatty George Band. Thereafter, hooking up with other greats became routine.
Klein recorded over 130 LPs and over 50 CDs with the likes of Lionel
Hampton, Roy Eldridge, Earl Hines, Albert Nicholas, Bud Freeman, Wild Bill
Davison, Peanuts Hucko, Sammy Price, Ralph Sutton, Bill Allred, Dexter
Gordon, Slide Hampton, Romano Mussolini Wallace Bishop and Spiegle Willcox.
Klein never learned to read music. However, he was able to speak seven
languages. He left Switzerland to settle in Germany with his wife and
children several years ago. Although he never re-established residency in
the country of his birth, his contributions to Austria¹s cultural scene was
honoured by late Austrian President Thomas Klestil who presented Klein with
the nation¹s silver Medal of Honour, one of the country¹s most prestigious
tributes.

Klein¹s wife told the Austrian Press Agency that her husband, who was
planning to go on tour next year, was in good health at the time of his
death.