[Dixielandjazz] mixed record dates (was Eldridge and Krupa)

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Tue Dec 26 11:09:56 PST 2006

One of the scholars in the group might have specifics on hand, but I've
read that in the earliest days of jazz, before recordings of course,
Papa Jack Laine hired light-skinned black musicians for parades and the
like. There were also integrated jam sessions and sitting in N.O. in
the 40s and 50s, as there were elsewhere I'm sure, with bands like
George Lewis at Manny's Tavern and modern players like Earl Palmer and
Al Belletto. In the South, this was illegal at the time

Happy New Yearly,

Charlie