[Dixielandjazz] mixed record dates (was Eldridge and Krupa)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Dec 25 00:11:33 PST 2006

> I don't think it had anything to do with his being Jewish or his
being fed up with Jim Crow. I think it had everything to do with [Benny
Goodman] getting the best players in his band regardless of race or
background. Period.<

Dear Mike,
I agree.
We jazz-lovers often let our inbuilt emotions over-rule the facts when it
comes to Our particular KOM.
The matter of mixed-race collaborations in early jazz deserves detailed
research and a long article, which I am sure must have already been written.
My dear friend and listmate Dr Fred Spencer will know. Fred?
Steve mentioned Jelly Roll Morton on the New Orleans Rhythm Kings Gennett
record dates [17-18th July 1923] as a first, but these were well-and-truly
pipped at the post by Brooklyn-born Bill Moore (1901-1964) who played with
the California Ramblers, billed as 'the Hot Hawaiian' and recorded his
initial record dates with them in April 1922.
Kind regards,
Bill.