[Dixielandjazz] For Kenny Davern fans. FYI

Lowell Busching verbose at daktel.com
Tue Dec 26 00:13:56 PST 2006

I have been probably somewhat belatedly checking out Version 11 of the
Windows Media Player which contains yet another music service as an
optional download. URGE by name. The 14 day FREE trial with no strings
or credit cards attached seemed worth trying. Once you sign up and
verify your email address it is good for the 14 days whether you use it
or not. Use it or lose it. You can not sign up again for the free trial.

Unlike some other trials it not only lets you listen to ANY number of
tracks or albums fully, but you can also download the tracks to your
computer!  They are standard WMP condensed files, not MP3's. If you then
try to burn a CD using the WMP IT refuses to make the conversion and
burn until you purchase the tracks for the usual price. Enough said.

A total of 11 Kenny Davern recordings are available, using URGE's search
engine,  including what may have been his last, recorded by Arbors live
in 2005 in what some of us belatedly learned was his final home town.
Albuquerque, N. M. Keep Kenny in your collections.

Sidebar: I checked out the "Rebirth Brass Band" albums and their 2004
"hit". 8 minutes long. Featured instrument was the Tuba. They will be at
the Sacramento Jubilee this year as the Headliner. Listed on their page
under "Similar Artists" were Bob Wilber, Kenny Davern, The World's
Greatest Jazz Band, and The Banjo Kings. I don't think so! The Dirty
Dozen Brass band was also listed I should add.  One out of five.

Bottom line. URGE appears to be one of the download companies with OKOM.
That means "Our Kind Of Music" for those new members who are still
confused by that term. NOT YKOM?   After all, what does DJML stand for?
  Bop on.

Mad Dawg