[Dixielandjazz] Why guitar and not banjo?

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 25 18:37:05 PST 2006

Of those guitar/double bass bands I listed the following had a violin. These
are 6 and 7 piece bands and played what we now call Dixieland, or something
pretty close to it..

1) Creole Orchestra From New Orleans -  Venson Tb; Johnson Dms
    Keppard Cor; Johnson Dbl Bs; Baquet Clt; Palao Violin; Williams Gui

2) Woodland Band - Ory Tb; Others (unidentified) played Cor; Violin; Guitar,
Dbl Bs; Dms

3) Peerless Orchestra is pictured with Violin; Gui; Clt; Dms;  Tb; Cor; Dbl
Bs

4) Original Superior Orch - Bunk Johnson Cor; Peter Bocage Violin; Louis Big
Eye Nelson Clt; plus
   Tb; Dbl Bs; Gui; Dms.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

EDWIN COLTRIN at boreda at sbcglobal.net wrote: (polite snip)

>Just to add to the fray. There has been no mention of the violin in this
thread, >haviing listened to many records from the early 1900 through the
1920s. there was >a presence of the violin in the dance bands of that era.
Some who played  Dixieland >as part of the program.