[Dixielandjazz] 2-beat vs. 4

Loerchen2 at aol.com Loerchen2 at aol.com
Mon Dec 25 16:22:55 PST 2006

Charlie and listmates,

The point that Jack Stewart was trying to make in his article is that the
rhythm was driven more by the dancers than by the musicians.  I tend to  agree
with this (at least in theory), having studied 1910s dance for the past 20
years, but here's the basic argument:

The predominant dance step from c.1890 until c.1910 was the two-step
(basically, a polka without the hop), which works great with both ragtime and  march
music.  From c.1910-c.1917, the predominant step was the  one-step, which is
just walking, also done to march or ragtime music.   Popular variations on the
one step were the so-called "animal dances" which  included the turkey trot,
snake dip, and ..... fox trot.  The original fox  trot consisted of two walking
steps on beats 1-2 and 3-4, and four quick steps  on four beats of the
following measure (still in 2/4 time).

Jack Stewart quotes from Nick LaRocca and says that the ODJB saw the  dancers
trying to do the one-step (often using the fox-trot step) to the 2/4  music
and it didn't look right, so the band changed to a driving 4/4 beat, which
worked better with the dance.  The first recordings of the ODJB sounds  frenetic
because they were geared to the normal tempo of the one-step, which was  quite
fast.  Within a year or two, the fox trot step had smoothed out and  became
more of a jog or loping step -- two slow steps on 1 and 2, and four quick  or
shuffle steps on 3 and 4 -- and the music followed suit.

Naturally, this is a simplification and it did not hold true in every case,
but if you see the proper period dances performed to both 2/4 and 4/4 music,
it  makes a lot of sense.  And if any of you are planning to come to New
Orleans for French Quarter Fest (April 13-15), I will be presenting a
demonstration of popular dances from 1910-1920 at the New Orleans International  Music
Colloquium on Saturday morning. (shameless plug)

Merry Christmas, if that's not being politicially incorrect these  days....
Sue